This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Transition Leave

Transition leave was formerly called terminal leave. Rules used to request and steps to request transition leave.

Rules used to request transition leave

Transition leave (formerly called terminal
leave) is a chargeable leave granted together with transition from the Service,
including retirement.

The unit commander or designee is the approval
authority for transition leave requests.

Leave will not be granted if it exceeds that
accrued or to be accrued between the date of approval and date of transition.
(See paras 5-15 and 5-33 for exceptions.)

Leave granted must not interfere with
operational requirements, timely processing, or transition processing.

Leave may be granted for soldiers stationed
overseas returning to CONUS or area of residence.

Soldiers stationed in CONUS (or OCONUS) will
complete processing at an authorized and directed transition activity before
beginning leave. As an exception, soldiers retiring and requesting a location of
personal choice transition point will complete processing at a designated U.S.
Army Transition Point prior to departing on leave.

The established transition date may be extended
only for soldiers pending physical disability (AR 635-40). This allows them to
use their accrued leave as transition leave, provided they cannot sell or cash
in leave to the Government. Since 10 February 1976, soldiers can sell or cash in
no more than 60 days leave one time during a military career, except as
authorized by Section 501 of Title 37 U.S.C as implemented by the DODFMR. The
following are examples of a soldier who has been identified for disability
separation and has 60 days of leave. These examples show whether the soldier
must sell or cash in his or her leave, may use his or her leave as transition
leave, or a combination of both.

  1. The soldier cashed in 60 days of accrued
    leave on 1 May 1977. The soldier may take 60 days of accrued leave plus any
    leave earned while on leave.
  2. On 1 April 1976, the soldier cashed in 30
    days of accrued leave. The soldier can cash in 30 of his or her 60 days of
    accrued leave and use the remaining 30 days of leave plus any leave accrued
    while on leave.
  3. On 1 March 1975, the soldier cashed in 60
    days of leave. The soldier must cash in the entire 60 days leave, the same as
    a soldier who has not cashed in any leave.

Leave will be terminated at 2400 on day of
transition (concurrent with transition). It may also end upon reporting to the
designated U.S. Army Transition Point not earlier than the reporting date
specified on the soldier’s order, upon return to previous unit of assignment,
upon hospitalization, or upon death.


Steps to request transition (terminal)

Step Work Center Required
1 Soldier When requesting transition
leave, complete DA Form 31, blocks 2 through 11 (chap 12 AR 600-8-10).
2 Soldier Check “other” on DA Form 31,
block 7. After “other”, post transition.
3 Unit See travel allowances
specified in AR 635-10, paragraph 2-18, and DFAS-IN 37-1. (Direct travel
questions to your local transportation or travel office.)
4 Unit Advise soldier that leave
settlement is made on actual transition date.
5 Soldier Notify a reliable person of
your itinerary and request that person to notify transfer point should you
become; for example, hospitalized, or injured, or die before leave.
6 Soldier On last day of leave, call
transfer point to let them know you are alive and well.
7 Unit Losing unit advise soldier to
do step 5 and 6 above.
8 Unit Follow leave processing
procedures in paragraph 12-1 AR 600-8-10.
9 BNS1 Receive leave request from
unit and follow transition leave processing procedures in paragraph 12-17 AR

Reference: AR 600-8-10

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.