Counseling quick reference
Leaders must demonstrate these qualities to
- Respect for subordinates.
- Self and cultural awareness.
Leaders must possess these counseling
- Active listening.
Effective Leaders avoid common counseling
mistakes. Leaders should avoid:
- Personal bias.
- Rash judgments.
- Losing emotional control.
- Inflexible counseling methods.
- Improper follow-up.
The counseling process:
- Identify the need for counseling.
- Prepare the counseling:
- Select a suitable place.
- Schedule the time.
- Notify the subordinate well in advance.
- Organize the information.
- Outline the components of the counseling
- Plan counseling strategy.
- Establish the right atmosphere.
- Conduct the counseling session:
- Open the session.
- Discuss the issue.
- Develop a plan of action (to include the
- Record and close the session.
- Follow up:
- Support the plan of action implementation.
- Assess the plan of action.
Source: FM 6-22 Army Leadership