171-300-0016 - Conduct a Presence Patrol
Conditions: In a tactical
environment as the section leader, given an operations order (OPORD) or
fragmentary order (FRAGO) to conduct a presence patrol either mounted or
dismounted, an operational vehicle, maps with graphic control measures, signal
operation instructions (SOI), and the requirement to conduct a presence patrol
through populated terrain and/or urban built-up area. Your vehicle may be
equipped with the Force XXI Battle Command Brigade-and-Below (FBCB2) system/
intervehicular information system (IVIS) with the current map, operational
overlay, and order displayed.
Standards: Conducted a presence
patrol so that the military presence of US troops is projected, and all
appropriate human intelligence (HUMINT) information is gathered and the
commander’s intent is met. Interaction with local or foreign civilians, law
enforcement, governmental officials or military is conducted in a manner that
did not incite aggression against US forces or our allies. Maintained force
protection, as appropriate, for the threat situation. Conducted actions on
contact. Maintained situational awareness by monitoring FM communications
and/or the FBCB2/IVIS.
NOTE: The primary purpose of the
1. Initiates and controls presence patrol movement
a. Directs mode of transportation IAW OPORD/FRAGO.
b. Directs patrol to begin movement using
c. Positions himself where he can best
2. Supervises the patrol.
a. Crosses the SP at the designated time.
b. Reports control measures IAW the OPORD/FRAGO.
c. Directs 360-degree security with air and
3. Conducts scheduled halts, as directed in the
a. Establishes local security.
b. Posts guides to direct traffic, as
c. Conducts reconnaissance, as necessary.
d. Mounted only:
(1) Performs during-operation
(2) Refuels, if scheduled.
e. Sends a Situation Report (SITREP).
4. Conducts unscheduled halts, as necessary.
a. Conducts actions on contact.
(1) Deploy and report.
(2) Develop the situation.
(3) Recommend and choose a course of
(4) Execute a course of action.
b. Maintains situational awareness.
c. Maintains 360-degree security.
d. Sends a SITREP.
5. Interacts with the local civilians as the OPORD
a. Uses the patrol’s HUMINT collector
b. Maintains situational awareness of local
NOTE: Due to the interaction the
6. Conducts continuous reconnaissance during and
7. Reports all suspicious activities to higher
8. Conducts reentry into friendly areas.
a. Contacts friendly units.
b. Confirms the coordination of the passage
c. Executes reentry.
9. Completes the patrol report.
a. Debriefs the patrol members and compile
b. Prepares the patrol report.
c. Reviews the patrol report with the
d. Submits the completed report to
10. Maintains situational awareness by monitoring FM
1. Initiated presence patrol and controls movement
2. Supervised the patrol.
3. Conducted scheduled halts as directed in the
4. Conducted unscheduled halts, as necessary.
5. Interacted with the local citizenry as the OPORD
6. Conducted continuous reconnaissance during and
7. Reported all suspicious activities to higher
8. Conducted reentry into friendly areas.
9. Completed the patrol report.
10. Maintained situational awareness by monitoring
Evaluation Guidance: Score the
Soldier GO if all steps are passed. Score the Soldier NO-GO if any step is
failed. If the Soldier scores NO-GO, show him what was done wrong and how to do
FM 3-20.98 (FM 17-98)