171-137-0001 - Search Vehicles in a Tactical Environment
Conditions: You have been given
the mission and authority to search vehicles. A search area is available as are
security personnel, an occupied vehicle, and an improvised mirror device.
Standards: Stopped the vehicle
and informed the occupants of the reason for the search. Identified the
occupants by looking at their driver’s licenses or identification cards (ID).
Searched the vehicle, inside and out , following a sequenced search pattern.
Released the vehicle to the driver, if prohibited items were not found.
Apprehended the offender if prohibited items were found; and notified your
WARNING: Performing any task
WARNING: When performing any task outside of the vehicle in a COE, wear your
WARNING: Always be aware of your surroundings, there are several types of
NOTE: At least one member of the search team must provide security at all
1. Stop the vehicle.
2. Inform the occupants of the reason for the
3. Identify the occupants by looking at their
4. Direct the occupants to get out of the vehicle.
5. With the exception of the driver, direct the
6. Direct the driver to open all doors and
NOTE: At this point the driver
NOTE: Searching the occupants of the vehicle is covered under a separate
7. Search the following areas on the vehicle:
NOTE: Use an improvised mirror
NOTE: While conducting the search look for any electrical wires that seem
a. Search the inside of the vehicle, to
(1) Behind and under the seat.
(2) Under the dashboard.
(3) Glove and tool compartment.
(4) Above the sun visor.
b. Search the outside of the vehicle, in
(1) Left front fender well and behind
(2) Under the front bumper and behind
(3) Under the hood and all areas
(4) Right front fender well and
(5) Under the right side of the body,
(6) Inside cargo areas and the trunk.
(7) Under and behind the rear bumper.
(8) Left rear fender well and behind
(9) Under the left side of the body,
(10) Top of the vehicle.
(11) Fuel tank(s).
8. If prohibited items are not found in the
9. If prohibited items are found in the vehicle,
1. Stopped the vehicle.
2. Informed the occupants of the reason for the
3. Identified the occupants by looking at their
4. Directed the occupants to get out of the
5. With the exception of the driver, directed the
6. Directed the driver to open all doors and
7. Searched the vehicle in a sequenced manner.
8. If prohibited items were not found in the
9. If prohibited items were found in the vehicle,
Evaluation Guidance: Score the
Soldier GO if all steps are passed. Score the Soldier NO-GO if any step is
failed. If the Soldier scores NO-GO, show him what was done wrong and how to do
FM 3-20.15 (FM 17-15)
FM 3-20.98 (FM 17-98)