171-300-0011 - Employ Progressive Levels of Individual Force When Confronting Civilians
Conditions: While securing a
critical area or participating in a civil disturbance operation, you have been
confronted by one or more hostile civilians. You may have crowd control
equipment such as a riot baton, military police (MP) club, and mace. You may
have been authorized to use crowd control materials such as a water hose or
Standards: Assessed the
situation and, if possible, reported it immediately to your section/team leader.
Isolated hostile civilians and used no more force than was necessary to control
1. Assess the situation by identifying the level of
b. Physical without weapons (touching,
c. Physical with weapons (rocks, clubs,
d. Physical with firearms shown.
e. Physical with firearms used.
2. Report the situation immediately to the
3. Isolate hostile civilian(s), if possible.
4. Employ no more force than is necessary to
a. Avoid confrontation if possible. Do not
b. Speak sternly to the civilian and state
c. Tell the civilian to "STAND BACK" and
d. If the civilian places his hands on your
e. If the civilian attempts to inflict
f. Use your individual weapon in
5. Establish and maintain control of the situation.
a. Comply with the rules of engagement
NOTE: ROE are politically imposed
b. Minimize casualties and damage.
c. Maintain professional demeanor and
1. Assessed the situation by identifying the level
2. Reported the situation immediately to the
3. Isolated hostile civilian(s), if possible.
4. Employed no more force than was necessary to
5. Established and maintained control of the
Evaluation Guidance: Score the
soldier GO if all steps are passed. Score the soldier NO-GO if any step is
failed. If the soldier scores NO-GO, show him what was done wrong and how to do