PATRIOT Launching Station Enhanced Operator/Maintainer (14T)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
A Patriot Launching Station Enhanced Operator is an important part of the Army’s air defense artillery team. The Patriot missile system teams are used to launch advanced-technology ammunition capable of neutralizing multiple air targets. The Patriot missile system consists of a control station, power plant, communications relay group and up to eight launching stations. The Patriot Launching Station Operator works directly with the Patriot launching stations.
Here are some of the duties of a Patriot Launching Station Enhanced Operator:
- Placing the Patriot launching system in the field
- Supplying launching station with Patriot missiles
- Operating specific Patriot launcher electronic systems
- Performing preventative maintenance on Patriot launching stations
- Handling Patriot ammunition
Patriot Launching Station Enhanced Operators constantly lift heavy objects and perform strenuous activity for long periods without rest. Being in top physical and mental shape is definitely a plus in this job. Normal color vision is also required in order to read color-coded ammunitions, maps and charts.
Job training for a Patriot Launching Station Enhanced Operator requires nine weeks of Basic Training, where you learn basic Soldiering skills, and 11 weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Part of this time is spent in a classroom and part in the field under simulated combat conditions. Some of the skills you will learn are:
- Operating technologies specific to the Patriot system
- Operating gun, missile and rocket launching systems specific to the Patriot
- Artillery tactics and battle strategy
As your Patriot Launching Station Enhanced Operator career continues, you will have the opportunity to take more advanced courses and have more in-field training.
- Interest in rocket and cannon operations
- Interest in electronics and electronic systems
- Ability to take on challenges and remain calm under stress
- Top physical and mental shape
- Ability to work as a team member
Advanced level Patriot Launching Station Enhanced Operators provide guidance on technical issues to other Soldiers. They supervise placement of the launching station of the Patriot system and reloading of ammunitions.