Multiple Launch Rocket System Operational Fire Direction Specialist (13P)
- Active Duty
- Army Reserve
- Closed to Women
A Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) Automated Tactical Data Systems Specialist is an important part of the Army's combat team. MLRS teams are used to support infantry and tank units while supplementing cannon artillery in combat, but they also have responsibilities during peacetime. The MLRS launches various missiles and ammunitions in quick strikes during combat. The MLRS Automated Tactical Data Systems Specialist records and transmits the firing data for the MLRS.
Here are some of the duties of a MLRS Automated Tactical Data Systems Specialist:
- Record and transmits firing data using fire direction system and voice radio
- Operate the communication systems in the MLRS
- Gather operations and intelligence data
- Plot firing points using maps
- Record ammunition used, firing points and mission reports
- Collect and transmit data
MLRS Crewmembers take precise records and orders during stressful situations. Being in top physical and mental shape is definitely a plus in this job. Normal color vision is also required in order to identify color-coded ammunition, maps and charts.
Job training for a MLRS Automated Tactical Data Systems Specialist consists of nine weeks of Basic Training, where you learn basic Soldiering skills, and seven weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Part of this time is spent in a classroom and part in the field under simulated combat conditions. Some of the skills you will learn are:
- Methods of calculating targets electronically and manually
- Operating communication systems specific to the MLRS
- Plotting points using different types of maps
- Artillery tactics and battle strategy
As your MLRS Automated Tactical Data Systems Specialist career continues, you will have the opportunity to take more advanced courses and have more in-field training.
- Interest in rocket and cannon operations
- Ability to take on challenge and remain calm under stress
- Top physical and mental shape
- Ability to work as a team member
Advanced level MLRS Automated Tactical Data Systems Specialists manage and direct the fire direction efforts of the MLRS. They plot firing points using maps and convert fire orders to fire command.