An Introduction to the Yellow Ribbon Program and Yellow Ribbon Schools
As a current or former member of the Army, you have an array of education benefits available to you and your family. One that can be a significant help in paying for college is the Yellow Ribbon Program, a Post-9/11 GI Bill provision. The Yellow Ribbon Program is a collaboration between the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and participating colleges to provide extra funds for eligible Army personnel.
What Is the Yellow Ribbon Program?
The Post-9/11 GI Bill helps current or former members of the Army and other armed forces attend college for a reduced cost or for free. The program, in conjunction with the GI Bill, can provide up to 100 percent of the tuition, fees, and other education costs associated with earning a degree. The maximum benefit you can receive under the new GI Bill is equal to the tuition and fees at the most expensive public college in your state.
This does not mean you must attend a public school, and the Yellow Ribbon Program can help you to make up the remainder of the costs if you decide to attend a private school, go out of state, or attend an online school participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
How it works is that Yellow Ribbon schools commit to paying up to 50 percent of the tuition that isn't covered by the GI Bill. The VA then matches the school, dollar for dollar, up to 100 percent of the remaining tuition and fees.
Yellow Ribbon Program Eligibility Requirements
You must be eligible for the maximum military benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill to qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program. As an active, reserve, or veteran member of the Army, you may be eligible for maximum benefits if you meet one of the following criteria:
- You served on active duty for a minimum of three years starting on or after September 11, 2001
- You served for at least 30 days after September 10, 2001 and received an honorable discharge due to a service-related injury or disability
Dependents of Army personnel who are eligible to receive GI Bill benefits under the transfer entitlement program may also qualify if the sponsoring Army member meets one of the criteria above.
What Does the Yellow Ribbon Program Offer Veterans?
The Yellow Ribbon Program might be especially useful if you choose to:
- Earn a degree at a private school, including online schools
- Attend college out of state
- Pursue a graduate degree
This list does not include all schools that accept GI Bill funding or VA Benefits.
For a more complete list of schools, click here.
The costs incurred by the above school options can often exceed the maximum available benefits from the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Yellow Ribbon Program was designed to help you meet the additional funding needs for your education. Yellow Ribbon schools usually make their contributions to the program in the form of grants, scholarships, and other types of financial aid that do not have to be repaid.
This list does not include all schools that accept GI Bill funding or who are participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program or VA Benefits. For a more complete list of schools, click here.
- Grand Canyon University - Where a Quality Education and Faith Coexist
- Recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- We support students through their academic and spiritual journey.
- GCU offers the convenience of online, on-campus, or evening programs.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
Programs: M.Ed. in Elementary Education (Leads to initial teacher licensure), M.S. in Leadership: Disaster Preparedness & Executive Fire Leadership, M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems, more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Specialized, industry-current knowledge and skills for goal-oriented professionals.
- Curricula based upon complex, real-world situations that can challenge you to organize, research and solve problems.
- Innovative programs designed to help you maximize your current knowledge and fast track the pace of your achievements.
- Supportive community of students, educators, mentors and successful professionals ready to welcome you. Are You In?
Programs: Bachelor of Science in Cyber Security Computer Systems Security, Master of Business Administration Operations and Supply Chain Management, Doctor of Management Technology Management (Executive Format), more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
Please call on 844-252-4552 to talk to a respresentative.
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.
LeTourneau University is an interdenominational Christ-centered university offering more than 80 programs that prepare students for success in areas including the arts and sciences, aviation, business, education and engineering.
Get hands-on training with Le Cordon Bleu Schools of North America. We offer programs in culinary arts, pastry and baking, and hospitality and restaurant management at campuses across the United States.
Programs: Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts Online - Associate Degree in Hospitality and Restaurant Management 60 weeks, Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts Online - Bachelor Degree in Culinary Management, Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts Online - Associate Degree in Hospitality and Restaurant Management 84 weeks, more...
Penn Foster offers affordable, self-paced career-focused distance education programs in fields like business, criminal justice, health services, technology, engineering, paralegal studies and more.
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
This list does not include all schools that accept GI Bill funding or VA Benefits. For a more complete list of schools, click here.
Disclaimer: Armystudyguide.com does not guarantee the schools listed above accept GI Bill funding. Please check with the school before enrolling.