This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Recruit the Recruiter FAQ

Q: What is the difference between a DA-selected Recruiter and a Volunteer Recruiter?

A: A DA-selected Recruiter is an NCO whose branch has nominated him/her for duty as a recruiter. Each MOS branch is responsible for assigning soldiers and some of the assignments could be for special duty such as recruiter. If you meet the criteria, you could very well be DA-selected for this assignment. There is a similar program for selecting Drill Sergeants. For example, last FY over 1000 NCOs were DA-selected for recruiting duty. This means 1000 NCOs were selected to serve outside their PMOS, sent to recruiting school and assigned as needed by the United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC). Each received their recruiter duty
assignments around the 4th week of school. Volunteer Recruiters, on the other hand, know their assignment before attending recruiting school. They make their preference known by selecting 3 companies. Last FY, 90% of all Volunteer Recruiters received one of their first three assignment choices.

Q: How many individuals will I be responsible for enlisting each month?

A: The average mission per recruiter across the command is 2 contracts per month. Again, this is an average. Without getting too specific, mission is distributed across the command according to DOD enlistment’s during previous years within specific zip codes. All of your training is geared towards prospecting for and processing at least 2 enlistment’s monthly. Also, you will be responsible for your market area, particularly at least one high school from which students may only join the Army through you.

Q: I have always been a successful soldier, can I be certain that my success will continue in USAREC?

A: Upon completion of the Army Recruiter Course (ARC), you will be trained and ready to perform your duties as a recruiter; however, your training will not end with the ARC. You will be placed in a 9 month transitional program, called the New Recruiter Program. These 9 months are non rated, allowing you time to learn the more about recruiting.

Q: What happens to my career if I am unsuccessful in recruiting?

A: USAREC has never used failure to make mission as a means to destroy a career. Does the Army ruin the career of an infantryman that cannot fire his weapon? No, training is increased so soldiers can reach the standard. However, a poor attitude or work ethic could hurt your career in USAREC. You must continually perform with a positive attitude regardless of mission success. A superb attitude and a good work ethic usually result in success as a recruiter.

Q: Where will my dependents go for medical/dental/emergency support?

A: As a recruiter, you will use TRICARE because you will probably not be located near a military installation. Each battalion has a Health Care Advisor that will brief you upon arrival and show you how your family’s medical needs will be met.

Q: Where will I live while I am a Recruiter?

A: Housing is your decision. You can rent, buy, or if you are located near a military installation, apply for quarters. Your sponsor can send you housing information well in advance so you can get a preview of cost and location. It is recommended that you live near your assigned recruiting station.

Q: Will I be able to change my MOS to 79R if I want to remain a recruiter longer than the standard three-year tour?

A: You can request to convert to 79R as early as 18 months as a recruiter, but in most instances you must have 24 months or more. You will receive appropriate counseling from your chain-of-command should you decide to covert. This is a career decision that you must make. If you choose not to convert, or if your conversion is denied, you will complete your 3 year tour and return to your MOS.

Q: I have been on station for 9 months and I want to be a recruiter now. Why can’t I apply?

A: Normally soldiers are stabilized at CONUS installations for 24 months after PCS. You can apply after you have 12 or more months on station, because by the time you get selected and PCS to your recruiting battalion, you will have close to or more than 24 months on station.

Q: I have less than six months remaining on my overseas tour in Germany. Why can’t I apply?

A: Once you have a return assignment-and this is usually done at least six months prior to DEROS for long tour areas-we can’t take you into the program until you reach your CONUS assignment and have 12 or more months on station. Also, it takes about 6 months to process your application and to obtain a school date for the Army Recruiting Course.

Q: I am stationed overseas, can I apply?

A: For long tour areas, you must complete 2/3rds of your tour. This means you must have between 6 and 12 months remaining until DEROS. For short tour areas (1 yr. tours) you must have between 6-10 months until DEROS. You cannot apply prior to meeting these requirements because we cannot reassign you until your DEROS assuming you are qualified and selected. We do not have the authority to curtail your tour. Also, if you have less than the required 6 months, you probably already have a return assignment, or soon will have one, and we cannot get you
diverted into the recruiter program. If your return assignment is made earlier than 6 months before DEROS, you probably cannot get deleted to apply for the recruiter program. If you want to become a recruiter, you need to apply as soon as you meet the time on station requirement and not wait until you have the minimum amount of time left till DEROS.

Q: I have been selected and want to know more about my PCS move to become a recruiter.

A: Your reassignment will depend upon circumstances and, in some instances, your desires. CONUS based, soldiers-with or without family members–go to the Army Recruiting Course (ARC) TDY and return to their parent unit, outprocess, and then report to the recruiting battalion. OCONUS based, single soldiers go to the ARC TDY enroute before reporting to the recruiting battalion within 5 days of graduation. OCONUS based soldiers with family members will PCS to the assigned recruiting battalion and then go TDY and return to the ARC about 2 weeks later. There are exceptions to this standard, but special circumstances must apply.

Q: I am not sure if I am qualified, because I am a SGT(P), married with 2 children, and I pay child support for 1 other child.

A: The limit on family members (including spouse) for a SGT(P) is 3 family members. You have a spouse, plus 2 children for a total of 3, but you must count the 1 child for which you pay child support. With a total of 4 family members, you are not eligible without a waiver. If you feel you have a strong record and have adequate spendable income, you may submit an application and it will be reviewed to determine if a waiver will be granted. In counting family members, you should include all family members that reside with you (including spouse) and any children for which you pay child support.

Q: I have a tattoo on my arm, will this affect my eligibility?

A: You cannot have any tattoos that may be perceived as offensive, sexist, distasteful, gang related, etc. and you must provide a photo of each tattoo that is clear in detail and clearly shows each tattoos, except for those in private areas.

Q: I declared bankruptcy 6 years ago, can I apply to become a recruiter?

A: Yes, you can apply because your bankruptcy was over 5 years ago, but the bankruptcy may be a factor in your selection. You cannot have had a bankruptcy within the past 5 years, cannot have current credit problems, and must have adequate discretionary income.

Q: I have a GED, can I quality?

A: Yes, if you have 30 semester hours of college beyond the GED. CLEP or DANTES credit is not acceptable. It is possible to get a waiver of this requirement if you have a strong record otherwise.

Q: What are the Time in Service (TIG) and Time in Grade (TIG) limits?

A: SGT: maximum 8 years TIS, no TIG restriction
SGT(P) or SSG: maximum 12 years TIS, no TIG restriction
SSG(P) or SFC: maximum 14 years TIS and maximum 2 years TIG for the SFC
Waivers are possible to these standards if you have an outstanding record.

Q: I am a SSG who is 40 years old. Can I apply?

A: The age standard is: You must be at least 21 years old, but not exceed 37 for SGT or 39 for SSG or SFC. Since you exceed the age limit by 1 year (39 for SSG), you can apply but you will require a waiver. Your waiver will be evaluated at USAREC after a review of your entire application.

Q: I only have 18 months til ETS, Can I apply?

A: Yes, you can apply but you will eventually have to reenlist or extend to have 3 years service remaining after completion of the Army Recruiting Course (ARC). We do not enforce this requirement when you submit your application, but if you are selected, you will have to extend or reenlist before your orders to attend the ARC are published.

Q: I have a family member enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP), can I qualify?

A: There are no established restrictions, however, you must provide a copy of your family member(s) enrollment in the EFMP with your application.

Q: I have a P3 profile, can I apply?

A: It depends upon the type of profile. Minimum profile standard is a PULHES of 132221. If you have a 3 under any area other than U (upper extremities), then you are not qualified. If you have a P3 profile under the U, you might be qualified, but you must also include a copy of the findings from your MMRB.

Q: I have a P3 profile and my MMRB states I can stay in the Army, but not in my primary MOS, can I apply to become a recruiter?

A: No. if you are required to reclassify, you are not eligible for the program.

Q: I received a summarized Article 15 last year, can I apply?

A: An Article 15 does not preclude you from applying, but it might be a factor in your selection. For us to make a decision, you must include a copy of all Article 15s, including summarized. If you cannot find a copy of the Article 15, then include a memo from your commander that explains the charge(s) and punishment administered.

Q: I am a prior recruiter and I would like to go back on recruiting duty, is this possible?

A: Yes it is possible. You must meet the same prerequisites as everyone else and then provide additional documentation with your application. Prior recruiters (previously awarded SQI 4) must include the following: (1) All NCOERs from the time entered recruiting duty til present; (2) All point sheets from prior recruiting duty and orders for highest level recruiting award, (3) A copy of your highest recruiter award (GB, 1SS, 2SS, 3SS, Ring, Medallion), and (4) A statement that indicates where assigned while on recruiting duty.

Q: I know my spouse must also apply and get accepted if I am enrolled in the Married Army Couples Program, but what if I disenroll so I can apply for this program?

A: When you are married to another service member, both of your must volunteer, be qualified and be accepted, regardless of whether or not you are enrolled in the MACP.

Q: Can I continue to go to school or college while on recruiting duty?

A: Yes. As a matter of fact, you will be encouraged to continue your education because it will benefit you both personally and professionally. You benefit from the education and you are also more visible to your market. Attending a college or school could put you in contact with prospects.

Q: Can I be stationed overseas as a recruiter?

A: Not usually. The only OCONUS location open to a volunteer recruiter is Puerto Rico and you must also speak Spanish.

Q: Can I get promoted or attend NCOES schools while on recruiting duty?

A: Of course you can get promoted and attend BNCOC or ANCOC. As a matter of fact, your tour as a recruiter should help speed up the process of promotions and the follow on NCOES school.

Available Subcategories :

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”