Counseling Sample For:
- Leave Procedures / Updated Contact Numbers
Possible Key Points To Discuss During Counseling:
be advised this counseling is to discuss the procedures, duties and responsibilities regarding
1. AUTHORITY FOR LEAVE: You must carry your leave form (DA Form 31) and this counseling statement with you at all times while you are on leave. This is your authorization/approval by the unit commander to take leave. You must also provide a copy of your itinerary for the unit’s
2. CHANGES: If there is a change in authorized leave or do not begin leave on schedule you must notify the chain-of-command immediately.
3. DEPARTURE/RETURN: You will begin and end leave on post, at the duty station, or from the place you regularly commute to work. When reporting back in off of leave, understand that you must be signed back in to the unit no later than (NLT) 2400 on the last day of leave (Block 10b). Remember it is your responsibility to ensure that you are at your place of departure at the appointed time. Failure to do so may result in punitive or administrative action against you except for circumstances due to no fault of your own.
4. TRAVEL EXPENSES: You are responsible for all your travel expenses. You must ensure that you have adequate funds to cover any additional expenses you may incur in the event your scheduled return is either delayed or cancelled. This is necessary in the event you have to schedule an
alternate mode of transportation in order to return to your duty station. In the event you do not have adequate funds for alternate travel, you can contact the Army Personnel Assistance Point at 800-582-5552.
5. LEAVE EXTENSIONS: Extensions in the excess of 7 days are approved only by the Battalion Commander.
6. LOST OR DESTROYED LEAVE FORM: Should your leave form be either lost or destroyed, you can obtain a copy from the unit. Your contact numbers are listed here and block 17 of the DA Form 31: Civ: xxx-xxx-xxxx(CQ)/ DSN- xxx-xxx-xxxx (CQ); Civ: xxx-xxx-xxxx(1SG)/ DSN xxx-xxx-xxxx (1SG); Civ: xxx-xxx-xxxx (CDR)/DSN xxx-xxx-xxxx (CDR)
7. MEDICAL TREATMENT:
a. Should you require medical treatment while on leave, report to the nearest military medical facility. In the absence of such a facility, report to a uniformed services treatment facility or Veteran’s Administration Facility if possible.
b. Medical treatment at Government expense is authorized only for emergencies when treatment cannot be obtained from Government facilities or when prior approval is obtained. You can obtain local area listings of the TRICARE Health Providers nearest your leave location by
contacting their office.
c. Should you be hospitalized by a civilian physician, it is important for you or someone acting on your behalf, to contact the Patient Administration Office of the nearest military medical facility as soon as possible. You can request alternate means of assistance through the American Red Cross or the nearest Army Recruiting Station.
8. ADVANCE LEAVE: Advance leave may be approved by the xxx company commander up to, but not to exceed 7 days. Be advised, it is recommended not to request advance leave when possible. Should it be necessary to request for advance leave, understand that you will not be able to submit a request for leave until your leave accrual is back into a positive balance.
Possible Plans of Action:
1. Carry your DA 31 at all times while on leave and provide a copy of your itinerary for the units records.
2. Contact the chain-of-command immediately of any changes that may occur regarding your leave.
3. Maintain adequate funds in order to ensure return travel.
4. Contact the unit as soon as possible for any requests for leave extensions.
5. Contact the unit for copies of your leave form should you either lose or destroy your DA 31.
6. Contact the unit immediately should you require medical assistance while on leave.
7. Try not to request for advance leave.
Possible Leader Responsibilities:
- I will ensure that you are properly counseled on the duties, responsibilities for taking leave, I will also ensure that you have received AT Level 1 (Anti-Terrorist Overseas Travel) briefing.