093-401-5050 - React to a Possible Improvised Explosive Device (IED)
React to a "Possible Improvised Explosive
All soldiers must receive a theater
Specific identification features for
React to a Possible Improvised Explosive
During military operations you encounter a
"Possible Improvised Explosive Device (IED)".
Properly establish initial exclusion area,
security, and report "Possible Improvised Explosive Device (IED)" to Higher HQ
with 100% accuracy.
Do not attempt to move the "Possible
1. Establish minimum initial exclusion area of 300 meters
2. Establish security:
a. Search secure area for possible secondary explosive
3. Forward information to Higher HQ using standard
4. Continue mission IAW Higher HQ guidance.
Grade the soldiers as a "go" or "no-go"
in each area. Explain the incorrect action for any "no-go".
1. Upon encountering a "Possible Improvised Explosive
a. Ensured all movement towards "Possible Improvised
b. Established initial minimum 300 meter exclusion area.
c. Established security.
2. Submitted standard 9-line UXO Report to Higher HQ.
3. Did not move "Possible Improvised Explosive Device (IED)".
4. Did not approach "Possible Improvised Explosive Device (IED)".
5. Did not use any communication or electronic devices
6. Continued mission IAW Higher HQ guidance.
Evaluation Guidance: Tell the
soldier that "Possible Improvised Explosive Devices (IED)" are in use in the AOR.
Place the Soldier in a scenario that will require them to encounter a "Possible
Improvised Explosive Device (IED)".
Standard 9-line UXO Report
Date time group discovered: (Command policy will
dictate Local or Zulu time).
Reporting Activity (UIC / Unit designation).
Location: mandatory 8 digit grid:
(include: landmarks, reference points, or street addresses).
Contact Method: Radio Freq / Call Sign or
Telephone Number. (If using phone number, provide name).
Type of Munition: (Dropped, Projected, Placed, or
NBC Contamination: Yes or No, known or suspected
NBC Contamination. If yes, report type of agent
if known / identified.
Resources Threatened: (What resource is threatened
– is it a critical asset?).
Impact on Mission: (How the UXO is affecting the
Line 8: Protective Measures Taken: (Unit emplaced protective
Recommended Priority: (Immediate, Indirect, Minor,
or No Threat).