Standards: Threw the hand grenade to hit the target, prevented endangering yourself for more than five seconds.
Given an offensive (concussion),
riot-control, smoke, or incendiary grenade
with a time-delay fuse and load-carrying
Threw the hand grenade to hit the target,
prevented endangering yourself for more than
1. Position your body in a comfortable and natural
Make sure you are in a
Look at the target and
judge the distance to the target.
Align your body with the
target as if you are going to throw
a football or baseball.
Note. This is body target alignment.
2. Grip the hand grenade as follows:
Hold the safety lever
down with your thumb.
Keep the pull ring and
safety clip (if present) free and
facing your throwing hand.
3. Arm the grenade.
Remove the safety clip.
Note. Hold the safety lever down by your thumb. This keeps the
pull ring and safety clip free and
facing the non-throwing hand.
Pull the pin.
4. Confirm body target alignment.
TARGET-Troops in the
open. EFFECTIVE ENGAGEMENT-Within
five meters of center.
overhead cover. EFFECTIVE
ENGAGEMENT-Inside the enclosure.
TARGET-Troops dug in
without overhead cover. EFFECTIVE
ENGAGEMENT-Inside the position.
5. Toss the grenade using an overhand movement.
Release the grenade when it comes into
your field of vision ensuring that
Keep your eyes on the
Follow through your
Take cover, exposing
yourself to fire for no more than
6. Return to the position behind cover until the
grenade detonates, exposing yourself
for no more than five seconds at any
7. Detonate the grenade within the effective bursting
radius of the target.
At the test site, provide the soldier with
five dummy grenades to engage the targets.
Provide targets of troops in the open,
troops with overhead cover, or troops dug in
without overhead cover.
Soldier: Tell the soldier to fasten four
of the grenades to the ammunition pouches on
his LCE and to hold one in his hand. Tell
the soldier that at least one grenade must
detonate within the effective bursting
radius of the target. Tell the soldier not
to expose himself for more than five seconds
at any one time.
1. Positioned body in a covered position, aligned as
if to throw a football or a baseball.
2. Gripped the hand grenade, held the safety lever
down with thumb, kept the pull ring
free, and faced throwing hand.
3. Armed the grenade by removing the safety clip and
the pull ring.
4. Confirmed body target alignment by looking at the
5. Threw the grenade overhand while keeping eyes on
6. Returned to the position behind cover until the
grenade was detonated, prevented
exposure of self for no more than five
seconds at any one time.
7. Detonated the grenade within the effective bursting
radius of the target.
Note. The soldier will not be scored a NO GO for a target
until he has thrown all five grenades.
Score the soldier GO if all
performance measures are passed. Score the
soldier NO GO if any performance measure is
failed. If the soldier scores NO GO, show
him what was done wrong and how to do it