2005 Department of the Army Noncommissioned Officer (NCO) and Soldier of the Year (SOY) Competition Additional Instructions
Department of the Army
OFFICE OF THE SERGEANT MAJOR
203 ARMY PENTAGON
WASHINGTON, DC 20310-0203
DACS-SM 23 May 2005
MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTION
SUBJECT: 2005 Department of the Army Noncommissioned Officer (NCO) and Soldier of the Year (SOY) Competition Additional Instructions
1. Reference memorandum, HQDA, DACS-SM, 14 February 2005, subject: 2005 Department of the Army Noncommissioned Officer (NCO) and Soldier of the Year (SOY) Competition.
2. Candidates and their supervisors will complete the Pre-Competition Checklist at https://www.perscomonline.army.mil/NCOY-SOY.htm not later than 15 August 2005. Any changes that may occur later to the Pre-Competition Checklist will also be noted at the attached website under “Update Pre-Competition Checklist”.
3. Flight arrangements should be made to arrive at Richmond International Airport, VA and depart from Reagan National Airport, Washington, D.C. or Dulles Airport, VA.
4. Candidates and supervisors will call the Hyatt Regency Washington, D.C., on Capitol Hill at 1-800-2… or (202) 737-1234 to make their room reservations for Saturday, 1 October through Thursday, 6 October 2005. When making reservations it is important to mention that your reservation are part of the NCO/Soldier of the Year Competition. Reservations should be made as soon as possible but no later than 15 August 2005. Each MACOM is responsible for utilizing four rooms, one for each candidate and one for each supervisor. Ensure the rooms are reserved as this office has contracted for a specific number of rooms that must be filled in order to preclude a monetary penalty. Notify SGM Dallman when reservations have been made, see phone numbers below. Billeting for Fort Lee will be assigned upon arrival at the operations center as stated in the previous guidance referred to in paragraph 1.
5. During all Warrior Task Testing, M16 A2 weapons qualification all candidates will zero, record fire and perform the Mystery Events while wearing full body armor.
6. TDY Orders (DD Form 1610) for board members, supervisors and candidates should state in block 16, Remarks, “Lunch on the afternoon of 3 October 2005 is provided at no cost to the traveler.” For those individuals traveling on blanket TDY orders, when filing the Travel Voucher (DD Form 1351-2), block 19, Government/Deductible Meals, should identify one lunch meal provided.
7. All NCO and Soldier of the Year candidates’ TDY orders will reflect a through date of 10 October 2005. Furthermore, candidates should be briefed that if they are selected as the Department of the Army NCO or Soldier of the Year they will be required to remain in Washington D.C. through 10 October 2005. This will allow time for office calls with the Army leadership, enable my staff to work future calendar actions, and have official photographs made in the Pentagon studio. All MACOMs are encouraged to allow their competitors to remain in the Washington D.C. area to attend the 2005 Association of the United States Army annual meeting which concludes 6 October 2005.
8. Points of Contact for this action are:
a. Overall: SGM Dallman, HRC DCSOPS, DSN 221-3256, Coml. (703) 325-3256.
b. Performance testing and Fort Lee: CSM Peat, CASCOM, DSN 687-1358, Coml. (804) 734-1358.
c. Office of the Sergeant Major of the Army: SGM Gills, DSN 225-2150, Coml. (703) 695-2150.
Encl KENNETH O. PRESTON
as 13th Sergeant Major of the Army
CSM, U.S. ARMY TRAINING AND DOCTRINE COMMAND
CSM, U.S. CENTRAL COMMAND
CSM, U.S. EUROPEAN COMMAND
CSM, U.S. ARMY EUROPE AND 7TH ARMY
CSM, U.S. SOUTHERN COMMAND
CSM, U.S. ARMY FORCES COMMAND
CSM, U.S. FORCES KOREA
CSM, U.S. JOINT FORCES COMMAND
CMC, U.S. SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND
CSM, U.S. ARMY MATERIEL COMMAND
CSM, SPACE AND MISSLE DEFENSE COMMAND
CSM, U.S. ARMY MEDICAL COMMAND
CSM, U.S. ARMY PACIFIC
CSM, U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS
CSM, U.S. ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND
CSM, U.S. ARMY RESERVE
CSM, ARMY NATIONAL GUARD
CSM, U.S. ARMY MILITARY DISTRICT OF WASHINGTON
CSM, U.S. ARMY HUMAN RESOURCES COMMAND
CSM, U.S. SURFACE DEPLOYMENT AND DISTRIBUTION COMMAND
CSM, CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION COMMAND
CSM, U.S. ARMY INTELLIGENCE AND SECURITY COMMAND