Tank and Armor (Obsolete)
Paragraph 36, Change 1 to War Department Special Regulations No. 42, dated 29 December 1917, stated that the insignia on the collar of the coat for Tank Service would be “A conventionalized tank, one inch high, with the number of the regiment attached to the bottom.” The approved design was a front view of a French tank.
The insignia approved in 1917 was not well received, and a new design was announced for the Tank Corps per Change 2 to Service Regulation 42, dated 7 May 1918. The new design showed the side view of a Mark VIII Tank above two stylized dragons breaching fire over a wreath. War Department Circular 72, dated 16 March 1921, eliminated the insignia of the Tank Corps .
Paragraph 13b, AR 600-35 prescribed the collar insignia for Infantry (Tanks) as “The Infantry insignia with a circular raised center superimposed with the letter ‘T’.”
In a letter dated 21 March 1922, The Adjutant General approved a new design for Infantry (Tanks). Change 2, AR 600-35, dated 28 March 1922, prescribed the insignia for Infantry (Tanks) to be “The Infantry insignia with tank superimposed.” This insignia was rescinded by Change 2, AR 600-35, dated 22 August 1933.
Change 15, AR 600-35, dated 13 March 1943, added the insignia for Tank Destroyer Forces. This change specified the design was a “75-mm gun, motor carriage M3, in gold color metal.” The insignia was rescinded by Change 2, AR 600-35, dated 28 November 1944.
A new insignia for the Armored Forces was authorized by War Department Circular 56, dated 25 February 1942. This insignia was the side view of the Mark VIII Tank used in World War I. The insignia was continued in use until the Armor Branch was established in February 1951. The new insignia was the result of the Army Reorganization Act of 1950 as announced in Army Bulletin No. 9. The Armored Forces and Cavalry were combined into a single branch called Armor. The Armored Forces insignia was no longer used; however, the Cavalry was continued in use as a collar insignia for personnel assigned to Cavalry Units.