Branch Insignia: A gold color metal shell and flame, one inch in height.
The use of the "shell and flame" by the Ordnance Corps dates back to 1832. It is considered to be the oldest branch insignia of the Army. Similar insignia had been used by the British Army. After its adoption by the American Army, the design was used by the Artillery as well as the Ordnance until 1834 when the crossed cannon was adopted by the Artillery. In 1835, the shell and flame were used on a button for members of the Ordnance Corps and the design had been used in various items worn on the uniform since it was first adopted. The simplicity of the shell and flame harmonizes with the armament of days gone by, while the action it connotes is applicable with equal force to the weapons of today.
Branch Plaque: The plaque design has the branch insignia, letters and rim in gold. The background is crimson.
Regimental Insignia: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches in height overall consisting of two gray antique cannons in saltire on a white disc behind an encircling scroll in the form of a buckle red belt with, between the intersecting cannons and the belt, a black antique bomb, its scarlet flames issuing at the top of the device from behind the belt, which bears the inscription "ORDNANCE CORPS U.S.A." in gold letters. The regimental insignia was approved on 25 March 1986.
Regimental Coat of Arms: There is no coat of arms approved for Ordnance Corps Regiment. The regimental insignia (all in yellow except the letters on the insignia are crimson) is displayed above a yellow scroll inscribed "ARMAMENT FOR PEACE" in crimson. The background of the flag is crimson and the fringe is yellow.
Symbolism of Regimental Insignia: The crossed cannons are representative of the Ordnance Corps' early relationship to the Artillery. The flaming bomb, also known as the shell and flame, represents the armament of days gone by, while the energy it connotes is applicable to the weapons of our own day. The cannoneer's belt, which encircles the flaming bomb and crossed cannons, is embossed with the words "ORDNANCE CORPS U.S.A." and represents the traditional association between munitions and armament. The white background symbolizes the Ordnance Corps' motto, "ARMAMENT FOR PEACE."
Branch Colors: Crimson piped with yellow.
Crimson - 65013 cloth; 67112 yarn; PMS 220.
Yellow - 65002 cloth; 67108 yarn; PMS 123.
In 1835, the Ordnance Corps had a red plume the same as Artillery. Crimson was prescribed as the Ordnance color in 1851. In 1902, it was changed to black and scarlet. Crimson and yellow were established as the branch colors on 14 October 1921.
Birthday: 14 May 1812. The Ordnance Department was established by the Act of 14 May 1812. During the Revolutionary War, ordnance material was under supervision of the Board of War and Ordnance. Numerous shifts in duties and responsibilities have occurred in the Ordnance Corps since colonial times. It acquired its present designation in 1950.