This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Would Our Daughter Qualify for Hazelwood Act Benefits?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: My husband was a Texas resident when he was admitted to the U.S. Naval Academy in 1982. He graduated from the USNA in 1986. He served on active duty from June of 1986 to June of 1991. He received an honorable discharge in 1991. Given those facts, it’s my understanding that he qualifies under the Hazelwood Act. We are Texas residents and our daughter is an undergraduate at a private university in Texas. She is considering going to medical school after she graduates. If she attends medical school at one of the medical schools that is part of the University of Texas System could she use her father’s Hazelwood hours to cover tuition? (Note: She will be under the age of 26 the entire time she is in medical school and her father has never used any of his Hazelwood hours).

A: Yes, it sounds like your husband does meet the Hazelwood Act requirements of:
• Currently a Texas resident;
• Having been Texas resident at the time he entered the U.S. Armed Forces;
• Served at least 181 days of active military duty;
• Received an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions;
• Does not have any remaining usable GI Bill benefits;
• Not in default on federal education loans or student loans made or guaranteed by the State of Texas.

So to start the transfer process, your husband/daughter will have to create the following packet of information:
1) Application Packet for Veterans (HE-V)
2) Application Packet for the Child (HE-D)
3) DD214 –Military Discharge Form
4) Child’s Birth Certificate or Tax Return from previous year prior to enrollment

Just so we are clear, she is not limited to just the University of Texas school system – she can attend any of the Texas Public Institutions. Nor does she have to be under the age of 26 during the whole period she uses her Hazelwood Act benefits – just 25 or younger when she starts using her benefits.

Once your daughter is accepted into one of the Texas public universities or colleges, s/he can then fax the packet to her school.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *