This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Would My Montgomery GI Bill Pay for a Five-Week Truck Driving Course?

Q: I have the regular MGIB (not the Post 9/11). I’ve found a trucking school that costs roughly $3,500 for 5 weeks of training with CDL, if you pass the final test. Would my MGIB pay the whole $3,500? If not, what amount would it pay?

A: Most likely it would pay the full amount, although it will use up more than 5 weeks of your MGIB benefits. Because the MGIB pays $1,473 per month to go to school right now, your five-week $3,500 commercial driving school amount would use up almost 2 › months of benefits.

Also, if the cost of your CDL (test and endorsements) is not included in the cost of your course, you could can get up to $2,000 in reimbursement for the cost of the test. You have to pay the money up front and then submit VA Form 22-0803 from the VA’s website to get your money back.

Also, before you enroll, be sure to ask if they take the GI Bill and in particular the Montgomery GI Bill. Some schools take one GI Bill, but not others. Even within some schools, one course may be approved for the GI Bill while another course may not. So it never hurts to ask all the questions upfront instead of enrolling in a course, just to find out the course was not GI Bill approved or the school isn’t approved to take your GI Bill.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”