This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Will the Post 9/11 GI Bill Assist Me with Both Travel Expenses and Foreign School Tuition?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: My question is will the GI Bill cover out of country schooling programs? I would like to get my executive certificate and counter-terrorism studies through the Counter-terrorism Institute in accordance with the Lauder School of Government in Israel. Will the G.I. Bill assist me with travel expenses and program tuition?

A: The Post 9/11 GI Bill would not assist you with travel expenses – that is on your own dime. However, your GI Bill may well pay for your studies at a foreign school provided the school is VA-approved.

Students attending a foreign or private school are paid according to a different pay scale than students going to school in the U.S. As a foreign school student, the VA would pay up to $18,077.50 per year in tuition. The foreign/private school tuition rate is going to $19,198.31 for the 2013/2014 academic year.

In addition, you would get the foreign housing allowance currently at $1,368 per month; that would increase on August 1st to $1,429 per month. You would also get a book stipend of $41.67 per credit per semester. There is a $1,000 per year cap on the book stipend, but it is usually enough for a couple of full-time semesters per academic year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.