This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Will I Have to Transfer Schools to Use My Husband’s Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Q: Hello Mr. Kness. Quick question regarding schools…Where can I search for a specific school? The school I am currently attending is Arapahoe Community College – in Littleton, CO. I will be getting married this month, and using my husbands Post 9-11 GI Bill. I am just trying to get ahead of the game to see if I have to transfer colleges. Thanks in advance.

A: There is no reason why you should have to switch after you are married, as that college accepts the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Just be sure the program you are taking is also VA-approved. In some cases the school is VA-approved, but not all of the school’s programs are approved. You can contact either the VA or your school and they should be able to give you that information.

Also be aware that to make a transfer, your husband has to have served for at least six years and agrees to serve for an additional four years before he can access the transfer option.

To make a transfer, he can go to the TEB website and enter the number of months he would like to transfer to you. Once approved, and it can take up to 10 weeks for approval, then you can go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e to get your Certificate of Eligibility. You will need that when enrolling as a GI Bill student using transferred Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

If your husband is at the 100% Post 9/11 GI Bill tier level, you would also qualify for the Yellow Ribbon program if you would need it. Arapaho Community college does have a Yellow Ribbon Agreement with the VA , but here again, it may not cover all of their programs, so be sure and ask if your program is covered if you are going to use it.

If it is, then your school could pay up to half of the difference between what they charge and what the Post 9/11 GI Bill pays. The VA pays an equal amount. This leaves very little left for you to pay if anything. It is worth checking into.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”