This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

When I Return from Deployment, Will I Be Able to Convert My One Year of Chapter 30 to the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I used all my Chapter 1606 GI Bill for my Bachelor’s Degree. I was later hired into the AGR program and paid $1,200 for one year of the Chapter 30 GI Bill. I am now deployed to Afghanistan. When I return home, will I be able to convert that one year of Chapter 30 to Post 9/11 GI Bill? Would it even be feasible if I am still AGR? If the biggest benefit of Post 9/11 is the housing allowance, if I am AGR, I already receive BAH, so I’m wondering if it would even make sense for me to convert. I am enrolled in law school at the University of Akron in Akron, OH and am already using the Federal Tuition Assistance (or at least I was before I deployed), so I am just trying to figure out the best way to maximize my benefits. Thank you!

A: In your scenario, I don’t think it would not make sense to switch. If you have served for at least three years total between the AGR program and being deployed, you would get $1,473 per month for 12 months to go to school under Chapter 30 – the Montgomery GI Bill, but out of that amount, you have to pay the balance on your tuition and books after FTA pays its portion.

Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, your remaining tuition after FTA pays would be paid for by the VA directly to your school and you would get the book stipend of about $41.67 per credit per semester (up to the $1,000 per year limit).

So let’s run some numbers. Let’s assume law school costs $400 per credit, books are $500 per semester, you are taking 12 credits each semester and FTA pays up to $250 per credit or up to $4,500 per year. So in your first semester of an academic year, FTA will pay $3,000 out of the $4,800 for a difference of $1,800. Chapter 30 would pay you $5,892, so if you subtract out $500 for books, you would end up with a net gain of about $3,593 for that first semester.

The second semester will be slightly different in that you will hit your $4,500 FTA maximum. Chapter 30 will still pay you $5,892, but your tuition expenses not paid for by FTA would be $3,300 plus the $500 for books for a total of $3,800 leaving you with a net of $2,092.

Under that same scenario for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, The VA would pay the $2,300 and $3,800 respectively between tuition and books per semester, but that is all you would get. So Chapter 30 would be more lucrative in your case.

2 responses on “When I Return from Deployment, Will I Be Able to Convert My One Year of Chapter 30 to the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

I was wondering if i sign over my montgomery gi bill to my spouse but we are getting a divorce will she be able to recieve BAH when we are no longer married

I don’t think you are transferring the Montgomery GI Bill, but you can the Post 9/11 GI Bill. And yes, once DEERS is updated to show you two are divorced, then she can get the Post 9/11 GI Bill housing allowance, not BAH.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.