This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

When Can My Husband Transfer Benefits to Me?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: My husband is active duty Army and wants to transfer his GI Bill to me. He doesn’t hit 6 years until June 2011, but he has re-enlisted for another 5 years I believe. When can he transfer his GI Bill?

A: The Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer rules say six years and re-enlist for an additional four years, so he should be able to access the transfer option sometime in June 2011 after he reaches the six years of qualifying active duty service mark.

To make a transfer, he can go to the TEB website and enter the number of months he wants to give to you; it can be any amount of his unused months of entitlement.

After making the transfer request, he will have to keep checking back at the website and look for the Status to change from “Pending Review” to “Approved”. Once that happens (which can take up to 8 weeks), then you can go to the VONAPP website and submit VA Form 22-1990e. In return, you will get your Certificate of Eligibility which you will need when you enroll in school.

He should still have four years of service left in June 2011 from his 5-year re-enlistment, so he should be eligible to make a Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer of benefits then.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: The schools appearing on this webpage are clients of ours and are schools from which QuinStreet receives compensation ("Sponsored Schools"). Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on this website (including the order in which they appear). Our websites do not, and are not intended to, provide a comprehensive list of all schools in the United States or of all schools located in a specific geographic area or of all schools that offer a particular program of study. We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.

Gainful Employment Disclosure: For more information about program cost, educational debt, and completion rates of students who attended these programs, visit here.