This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

What Will I Receive If I Enroll in College Full-time?

Q: I’m curious about BAH and GI Bill. What will I receive if enrolled in college full time? The college VA Office told me I would get $333/month from GI Bill (I am in the old one I believe? Chapter 1607?) I am in the Guard, 1 year of service, no deployment. I have heard mixed statements about also receiving BAH in the amount of E5 w/dependents based on the zip code of my school? If that is correct, what paperwork, and to whom do I submit it to? Any help would be great! I want to get a degree prior to my 2013 deployment date, but sure can’t live on only $300/month.

A: Actually the amount for the Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) is now $337 per month, but still less than what most people can live on. With the MGIB-SR, that is all you get and you have to pay your own tuition, fees and other education-related expenses.

Actually, you would be far better off if you waited to go to school after your deployment. With a one-year deployment, you would qualify for 36 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill education entitlement at the 60% level.

Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the VA would pay your tuition and eligible fees directly to your school (up to 60% of the in-state maximum). Monthly, you would get 60% of the housing allowance and up to $600 per year in a book stipend (60% of the $1,000 per year maximum.

This GI Bill has the housing allowance paid at the pay grade of an E-5 with dependents based on the zip code of your school. Chapter 1606 doesn’t have anything other than the $337 per month. The housing allowance alone averages $1,000 per month across the United States with both the East and West Coasts being double that amount and the Midwest being slightly less. So you would be around 60% of that amount or $600 per month – almost twice of what the MGIB-SR would pay and your tuition and fees are 60% paid already by the VA.

To me it is a no-brainer to wait until you qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. But if you choose to use your MGIB-SR, then go to the VONAPP website and submit VA Form 22-1990. This is also the same website and form you will need for the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”