This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

What Options Do I Have as Far as Tuition Assistance and the GI Bill?

Q: Hello, I was active duty from 1998 to 2003. I began coursework prior to being discharged, using tuition assistance. After being honorably discharged I continued to attend school full time using the original GI BILL and had exhausted the benefits attaining a B.S. degree. I commissioned in 2008 and have about 18 months left of service. What are my options for education benefits in regards to tuition assistance and/or the old and Post 911 GI BILL?My goals are to attain a masters degree and possibly civilian flight training. What are my options for either?

A: First, if you exhausted your Montgomery GI BILL (MGIB), then it’s dead. Second, you should be able to use Tuition Assistance (TA) while you are still serving. It will pay up to $250 per credit with a annual $4,500 cap. If your tuition costs exceed what TA will pay, you can use the Tuition Top-Up programs.

How it works is your service branch pays all your tuition and then bills the VA for what exceeds what TA pays. The VA in turn, converts that dollar amount into months and days of entitlement and deducts that from your GI Bill.

Even though you exhausted your MGIB, you will have 12 months of benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Top-Up is a good way to use the GI Bill in that it slowly uses your benefits.

Under the Rule of 48, if you qualify for two or more GI Bills, you can only get a combined total of 48 months hence the 36 you already used under the MGIB and 12 more you can get under the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

As far as flight training, the VA generally will only start paying after you have attained your private pilot’s license. I said generally, because some flight training programs include the private pilot license. Under the recent change, the VA will only pay $10,000 per year for flight training. Personally, I think a better use of your remaining GI Bill benefits would be to get your master’s degree.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”