This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

What Does It Cost to Transfer to the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Q: If my husband decides to transfer his GI Bill to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, does he have to pay any fee to do that? Thank you.

A: I’ve been getting this question a lot lately; I’m not sure where it is coming from all of a sudden but as with most rumors, it is not true. Transferring from one GI Bill to another is free.

One question that must be first answered is his Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility. Minimum eligibility of 40% is acquired by serving on a Title 10 order for a minimum of 90 days after September 10, 2001. Maximum eligibility (100%) comes with at least three years of service or more on the same type order and after the same date.

So if he meets the eligibility requirement, all he has to do to transfer to the Post 9/11 GI Bill is go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990. In return, he will get a Certificate of Eligibility that he will need when enrolling in school as a GI Bill student.

On his certificate, it will show the type of GI Bill he has, how many months of entitlement and the date they expire.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”