This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

What Are My Options for Both My Wife and I to Use My GI Bill

Q: I’ve been in the active Army for 15 years and paid the $1,200 for MGIB. I want my wife to finish college but also want to save about a year left of money for my retirement. What are my options?

A: With the Montgomery GI Bill, you most likely don’t have any options to transfer educational benefits to your wife. The Army and Air Force each ran a transfer-of-benefits pilot program, but then both stopped due to lack of interest. In the Army’s program, soldiers had to buy the transfer right out of their re-enlistment money and the transfer could only be to a spouse, so if you had bought into that program, you would most likely remember it.

The best way to accomplish a transfer of benefits to your wife is to switch over to the Post 9/11 GI Bill. You meet the first transfer of benefits service requirement of having served more than six years. Ensure you have the future service requirement – agreeing to serve for four additional years – in place before you make a transfer request. Otherwise your request will be disapproved.

You have up to 36 months of benefits you can transfer. So once you have your enlistment out to at least having four years left, go to the TEB website and enter into your wife’s record how many months you would like to transfer to her. If you want a year left for yourself, then transfer 24 months to her.

Once the transfer is complete, by the Status Block changing to “Approved”, then have her submit VA Form 22-1990 from the eBenefits website. In return, she will get a Certificate of Eligibility that she will need to hand a copy of to her school when she enrolls as a GI Bill student.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”