This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Once My Montgomery GI Bill Is Gone, Can I Transfer to the Post 9/11 GI Bill to Finish My OJT?


Q: I have 15 days left on my Ch. 30. I am starting OJT and will be using my remaining 15 days. Once exhausted, is it possible to transfer to the Post 9/11 GI Bill for the remainder of my OJT? I was on active duty from 2000-2004 and a Reservist from 2009 to the present, and then activated from 03/2011-05/2012.

A: Yes it is possible to change GI Bills. Due to your active duty service after September 10, 2001 and your activation while a Reservist, you have more than the required three years of eligible service; you should be eligible for an additional 12 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits at the 100% tier.

However, when you change from one GI Bill to the other, you will notice a change in your monthly payment amount. Under the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB), you would get paid 75% of the full-time MGIB rate for the first 6 months of OJT. Being you only have 15 days of MGIB left, that should amount to approximately $586.50.

Once you are under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you would receive 100% of your Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) for the first six months of training. I can’t tell you exactly what that amount would be without knowing the zip code of your OJT program, but I can tell you that it averages about $1,300 per month across the United States. It is about double that amount if you are in New York City or LA.

For the second six months of benefits that you would have left, you would get 80% of the MHA. Your employer should be paying you up to the other 20% by now.

To change GI Bills, just go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990. Make sure you put an effective date in Block 9F in Part II that is well after you have used up your last day of MGIB benefits. As long as that date is after your MGIB benefits are exhausted, you would seamlessly roll over from the MGIB to the Post 9/11 GI Bill.


Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2020 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at http://www.va.gov.

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

Enter to Win $1,000 for College From Lending Tree. Deadline to Enter January 31, 2022.

X

Enter NOW! Niche's $2,000 Scholarship Giveaway, Deadline July 31, 2021

X