This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Once I’m Past the Six-Year Mark, Can I Transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to My Wife?

Q: My wife is trying to go to college and I want to know, if after my six-year mark in the Army, will she be eligible for me to request a transfer of my GI Bill?

A: It isn’t a matter if she will be eligible, it is a matter if your meet the transfer of benefits eligibility requirements. Right now the Post 9/11 GI Bill rules state that if you are on active duty, you must have served at least six year and agree to serve an additional four years, so if you have at least four years left on your enlistment at the time your hit six years of service and make you transfer request, you should be good-to-go.

Once eligible, go to the TEB website and enter the number of months you wish to transfer into her record. Once finished you will see “Pending Review” in the Status block. Keep coming back periodically to the website and look for the status to change to “Approved”. It can take up to 10 weeks for the status to change.

Once that happens, then your wife can go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e. In return, she will get her Certificate of Eligibility that she needs when she enrolls in school as a student using Post 9/11 GI Bill transferred benefits.

One change that will take effect in October is she will start receiving the book stipend. Up until then, she would not have been eligible to get that part of the benefit.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”