This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Is It True There Is Another Benefit That Would Help Pay for Additional Education?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I have used my GI Bill benefits and Army College Fund. Another Veteran told me there was another benefit that would help pay for additional education. Is this true?

A: I’m assuming you are referring to the Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB-AD) when you say you used your GI Bill benefits. If so, then yes, you could be eligible for some benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, depending on when you served and for how long.

To qualify, you would have had to serve for at least 90 days after September 10, 2001. That would get you the minimum benefit of 40%; three years of service would get you to the 100% mark.

Under the New GI Bill, the VA would pay for your tuition and fees (up to your tier percentage) at a public school and you would get a housing allowance based on the location of your school, tier percentage, and the number of credits you take. You would also get a book stipend once each semester calculated at your tier percentage times $41.67 per credit (up to the yearly maximum).

If you attend a private school, they would pay up to $17,500 (times your tier percentage) in tuition and fees. As you can see, how long your served after September 10, 2001 can greatly affect your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

If you think you might have some Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility, send in VA Form 22-1990 from the eBenefits website and you will get back a Certificate of Eligibility that will show what you have for benefits.

2 responses on “Is It True There Is Another Benefit That Would Help Pay for Additional Education?

Provided the person meets all the Hazelwood Act eligibility requirements, which are:
Have been a Texas resident upon entry into the military, entered into active federal duty in the State of Texas, or declared Texas as his or her home of record at the time of entry into the armed forces as documented on his or her DD Form 214;
– Have a military discharge of honorable or general, under honorable conditions;
– Served at least 181 days of active duty service (excluding training);
– Not be in default on an education loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas and not in default on a federal loan if that default is the reason the student cannot use his or her federal veteransÔÇÖ benefits.
– And the newest requirement is you have to live in Texas at the time you use your benefits.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.