This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Is Eligibility for the Post 9/11 GI Bill Automatic?

Q: I apologize in advance if my question has already been answered somewhere else in this blog. I currently have the MGIB and have about 4 years of active service left before I retire. I had a break in service for 3 years (1996-1999) at which time I was in the Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR) and I did use some of the MGIB during my break in service. What I would like to do is transfer some of the benefits of the Post-911 GI Bill to my sons if that is possible, but from what I gather, obtaining the Post-911 is not automatic (Even though my admin office told me it was) I would like to know what I need to do in order to obtain the Post-911 GI Bill and transfer benefits to my children.

A: What your admin office told you is true in the sense that if you served for at least 90 days on a Title 10 order after September 10, 2001, you do have some Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility without having to do anything further. As you might remember, the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) had a $1,200-contribution fee that had to be paid first in order to qualify for it; there is no contribution fee for the Post 9/11 GI Bill – you get it free just from your service to your country. Being you are still serving you should have full eligibility in the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

However, the Post 9/11 GI Bill is not automatic in the sense that it’ll just appear out of nowhere. You have to apply to use it and in the process, give up what benefits you have left under the MGIB. So because you have used some of your MGIB benefits, the most number of Post 9/11 GI Bill months you can get is the same number of months you have left under the MGIB.

To make a transfer of benefits request, go to the milConnect website and follow the Transfer of Benefits Section. Once your transfer is complete, each son receiving benefits from you will have to go to the eBenefits website and fill out VA Form 22-1990e. In return, each one will get a Certificate of Eligibility that they will need when enrolling in school as GI Bill students.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”