This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

In My Situation, Can I Give My Wife My Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits?

Q: Sir, I served 4 years from 2002-2006. I got out of the Air Force and began to use my GI Bill. I was under, I think, Chapter 30 at first and then switched over to the Post 9/11. I just recently re-enlisted in the Air Force this past March (2012) for 4 more years. I still have some of my GI Bill left and am interested in signing it over to my wife. Is it true I need to have already served 6 years to do that? Also, I understand there is a way to get the $1200 I invested in the GI Bill back since they no longer charge that. Is that true as well? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

A: Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer-of-benefits-to-dependent rules, yes you have to have served for at least six years of which three of those years had to be after September 10, 2001. So you meet the three-year requirement to qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, but you don’t yet meet the six-year requirement to qualify for the transfer of benefits option.

Once you have served for at least two more years, and have at least four years left on your enlistment at the time of your transfer request, then you can go to the milConnect website and apply for a transfer of benefits by entering into your wife’s record how many months you would like to transfer to her.

Keep checking back at the website periodically and look for a Status change to “Approved”. It can take 8 to 1-0 weeks for the status to be approved.

Once that happens, then she can go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e to get her Certificate of Eligibility that she will need when enrolling in school as a student using transferred Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”