This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

If My Husband Transfers His Montgomery GI Bill to Me, Will It Affect His Retirement?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: My husband has the MGIB and wants to transfer the benefits to me. He’s AD with 26 years served. Can he transfer this to me and will it affect his retirement benefits at all?

A: Unfortunately, the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) does not have a transfer-of-benefits option. However, if your husband is still serving and agrees to extending for 4 more years, he can switch over to the Post 9/11 GI Bill – a GI Bill that does have the transfer-of-benefits option.

Your husband appears to meet two of the three service requirements right now – having served for at least six years and currently serving. He just has to make the future service commitment and he can make the request.

Should he choose to do so, he can go to the milConnect website and follow the Transfer of Benefits Section. Once his request is approved, you have to go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e to get your Certificate of Eligibility that you will need when enrolling in school.

If he doesn’t want to extend, or can’t due to him hitting his Retention Control Point during that period, or he is no longer serving, then he can’t make a transfer request and then the best thing for him to do would be to use his GI Bill benefits himself.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.