This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

If I Switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, Can I Get the Additional 12 Months?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I have been using the MGIB for about two years for part time school and now have 22months left on it. I plan to attend school full time this summer and would like to switch to the new GI Bill because I will no longer be working full time. I wanted to know if the 22months left on MGIB will be transferred over to the new bill or lost? I was active duty for 4 years after 2001 so I know I qualify. Also if I exhaust the 22months on MGIB and then switch to the new one, will I get the full 36 months of benefits under that bill?

A: The way switching to the Post 9/11 GI Bill works is if you switch with months of entitlement left, you get the same number of Post 9/11 GI Bill months as you had left under the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB). If you exhaust your MGIB months first, and then switch, you get the additional 12 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

In your case, when you switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you will get just the 22 months you have left and not the additional 12 months. Also note, if you switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, when you exhaust your months of benefits, you will get a prorated amount of your MGIB contribution back. With 22 months left you would get about $733 back. It would come as part of your last Post 9/11 GI Bill housing allowance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.