This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

If I Sign Over My Montgomery GI Bill Over to My Wife, Would She Get BAH After the Divorce?

Q: I was wondering if I sign over my Montgomery GI Bill to my spouse but we are getting a divorce will she be able to receive BAH when we are no longer married?

A: I think we are talking about a couple of different things here. I’ll do my best to get them sorted out. First, the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) does not have a transfer option to spouses, so you would not be able to give your wife your MGIB benefits even if you wanted to.

Second, if you are talking about the Post 9/11 GI Bill, then yes you could transfer those benefits to her providing you meet the transfer of benefit requirements.

Before you can get a transfer approved, you have to have served for at least six years, be currently serving at the time of your transfer request and agree to serve an additional four years. Once the transfer is approved, your wife has to submit VA Form 22-1990e from the eBenefits website to get her Certificate of Eligibility that she will need when she enrolls in school.

Once in school, her tuition would be paid directly to her school by the VA up to the resident undergraduate rate. Monthly she would also get the housing allowance or BAH, depending on how the divorce is set-up.

I’ve read lately where some lawyers ask the court to give the ex-spouse BAH, which she would collect for as long as you are in the military, while others ask for the housing allowance, which she would only get for the duration of her Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”