This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

If I Got Out of the Army on a Hardship, Do I Still Get the GI Bill?


Q: If you get out of the Army on a hardship, do you still receive your GI Bill?

A: Yes you do get the GI Bill on a hardship discharge. You’ll get one month of benefit for each month served, but depending on which Bill you have, they will pay differently.

With the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB), it is pretty straight-forward. You’ll get up to $1,321 per month for the number of months you served to go to school and you will have to pay all your own education expenses, such as tuition, books and fees.

Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the number of months you served will equate to a tier percentage. For example, if you served 18 months, before getting out on a hardship discharge, you’ll be at the 70% tier. So what does that mean?

It means you will get 36 months of education benefit, but you only get paid 70% of the full benefit, So:

  • the VA pays 70% of your tuition and fees directly to your school – you are responsible for the other 30%;
  • you get a monthly housing allowance, but only 70% of the E-5-with-dependents rate for the zip code of your school;
  • you get up to 70% of the book and supplies stipend, or up to $700.00 instead of the $1,000.

Regardless, of which Bill you use, both of them will pay you something to go to school; it is just for how long and the amount varies that between the two Bills.


Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2020 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at http://www.va.gov.

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits.For more information on how to choose a school, visit. For more information on ArmyStudyGuide.com, visit our FAQ page or follow the About Us link found below. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.