This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

If I Got a Bachelor’s Degree Through an ROTC Scholarship, Can I Get a Master’s?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: If an undergraduate degree was paid for through an ARMY ROTC Scholarship, is one still eligible for GI Bill benefits in order to obtain a master’s degree?

A: Yes, provided you served long enough after your ROTC obligation was complete. Depending on the scholarship, generally an Army ROTC scholarship incurs a four-year obligation. During those four years, you can’t acquire eligibility for the GI Bill, so you would have had to serve enough time after your ROTC obligation was done to qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. You would have needed at least 90 days of active duty time after September 10, 2001 for the minimum benefit of 40%. The full benefits would have required three years. So if you have served seven or more years, (with at least three of them after the September date) you most likely qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill at the 100% tier.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.