This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

If I Get Chaptered Out, Will I Still Get a Portion of the GI Bill?

Q: I am going to be chaptered out for failure of APFT and was wondering if I would get a portion of the G.I. Bill. I will have been in for over a year when my chapter is carried out.

A: Whether you get to use any GI Bill benefits will depend on how the military codes your character of service. If they give you anything but a fully honorable character, you will not be able to use your benefits. If they code you as fully honorable, then your benefits will depend on which GI Bill you have.

If you signed up for the Montgomery GI Bill and made your $1,200 contribution, you won’t get anything, because you did not finish your enlistment contracted amount of time of either two or three years, depending on what you signed up for when you enlisted.

You would qualify for 36 months of educational entitlements under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, however, you would only be at the 50% tier, which is still better than nothing. The VA would pay 50% of your tuition and fees to your school and you would get 50% of the housing allowance and book stipend. But none of this will matter if they code you something different than fully honorable.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”