This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

If I Get Chaptered Out on Weight, Can I Still Use My GI Bill?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I will be chaptered out the Army for weight. If I get a General Under Honorable Conditions discharge, do I get to keep my GI Bill?

A: Yes you do get to keep your GI Bill, however, you will not be able to use it if you have a less than fully Honorable discharge. There is a recourse though if you think (and can prove) your discharge status is incorrect.

If you are within 15 years of your discharge date (and obviously you are), then you can appeal your discharge status to the Army Board of Corrections. You start the process by submitting DD Form 249. There isn’t any guarantee they will change your discharge to an Honorable status, but at least it is an avenue of appeal. It can take up to six months to get a decision back. I wish you the best of luck.

4 responses on “If I Get Chaptered Out on Weight, Can I Still Use My GI Bill?

I’m curious if I ETS Honorably but I’m still flagged for overweight , will I still receive my GI bill.

It depends on your Command. The overweight will play into their decision, but so will several other things. Talk to your Command and ask them what discharge they plan to give you. Then you will know.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.