This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

I Have Six Years of Service, Why Can’t I Transfer Benefits?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: My wife is trying to go to nursing school in Vista CA. I have been in for six years and have 2 more left until I can reup. Can she use my GI Bill? How do we go about her getting it.

A: You are in somewhat of a Catch-22 right now, however, you may have an option. You have the six years in, but you need to extend for four more years before you are allowed to transfer any of your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to your wife. However, you can’t extend for two more years. At this point the only thing you can do is extend at the earliest time you become eligible. The Army does have some reenlistment options open and they frequently change without notice, so you may want to watch this page to see if you qualify for something that would let you extend early.

Once you extend for the four years you need, then go to the TEB website and transfer the number of months of GI Bill education benefit to your wife. Keep coming back to see when the status changes from Pending to Approved and the approval date.

Once that happens, your wife can go to the VONAPP website and submit VA Form 22-1990e. In return, she will get a Certificate of Eligibility, which she will need when she enrolls in school.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: The schools appearing on this webpage are clients of ours and are schools from which QuinStreet receives compensation ("Sponsored Schools"). Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on this website (including the order in which they appear). Our websites do not, and are not intended to, provide a comprehensive list of all schools in the United States or of all schools located in a specific geographic area or of all schools that offer a particular program of study. We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.

Gainful Employment Disclosure: For more information about program cost, educational debt, and completion rates of students who attended these programs, visit here.