This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Long Do You Have to Be In to Transfer Your G.I. Bill to Your Child?

Q: How long do you have to be in to transfer your G.I. Bill to your child? I have no kids at the moment but when i do i would like to transfer it over to them how would i do so?

A: The process is easy. Once you meet the Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer option eligibility requirements of serving for at least six years and agreeing to serve an additional four years, then you can go to the TEB website and enter in the number of months you would like to transfer. Keep checking back at the website and look for the status to change from “Pending Review” to “Approved”.

Once that happens, then the receiving member can go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e to get his/her Certificate of Eligibility which is needed when enrolling in school as a student using Post 9/11 GI Bill transferred benefits.

The receiving member may start using the benefits upon reaching his/her 18th birthday or upon receiving a high school diploma and must finish using the benefit by age 26. Any unused benefits after that age are lost.

However, the transferring member could revoke unused benefits and either use them for himself/herself or allocate them to another dependent child already hainv received transferred benefits while the sponsor was still on active duty.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”