This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

How Does My Father Transfer His GI Bill to Me?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: My father served a 4-year term back in 1980 to 1984 and never went to college after serving. I want to know if he can transfer his GI Bill to me and if so how can he do that.

A: No, he can’t for two reasons. One, his GI Bill from back then would have expired at least by 1994, so it has been expired for over 16 years. Second, the GI Bill from back then didn’t have any transfer option where he could have transferred education benefits to you. If he had the Montgomery GI Bill or switched to it, some of the service branches offered an option where the servicemember could buy a spousal transfer option as part of a reenlistment option, but the option was never offered down to dependent children.

The only GI Bill currently having a dependent-transfer option is the Post 9/11 GI Bill. To transfer benefits holders of that GI Bill have to have served at least six years on active duty and agree to serve an additional four years. Once that requirement is met, then the servicemember (while still on active duty) can go to the TEB website and enter in the number of months he/she wishes to transfer.

To start using those months, the recipient has to submit VA Form 22-1990e using the VONAPP website. In return, the recipient gets back a Certificate of Eligibility which he/she will need when enrolling in school.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.