This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Transfer My Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to My Son?

Q: I have been in the military 19 years and would like to transfer my Post 9/11 benefits to my son. How do I go about doing this?

A: First, go to the TEB website and if you are authorized to make a transfer request, then you will be able to access or “edit” your son’s record. If you can get into his record, then just enter the number of unused Post 9/11 GI Bill months of entitlement you want to give to him. If you can’t enter his record or it is “grayed” out, then you will most likely have to reenlist first to get your enlistment time to 20 years or his record is not current in DEERS. Once the reenlistment action is complete, or his DEERS record is current, then you should be able to make a transfer request.

Once you make a request, the status screen will change to Pending Review. Keep checking back at the TEB website and watch for the status to change to Approved. Once approved, then your son can go to the VONAPP website and submit VA form 22-1990e. He will get back a Certificate of Eligibility that he will need when he enrolls in school as a GI Bill user. That’s it!

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”