This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Transfer Benefits to My 23-Year and 26-Year Old Sons?

Q: I am an active duty Soldier with 18-years time in service. I would like to transfer my GI Bill benefits to my 23 year old or 26 year old step-son. What are the requirements to be able to do this and who do I have to see to do it?

A: First, it won’t do your 26-year old son any good because that is the upper age where unused benefits are lost. Your 23-year old, however, does have a couple of years left to use transferred benefits.

To transfer benefits, you have to have the Post 9/11 GI Bill. You did not mention which GI Bill you had, but the Montgomery GI Bill does not have a transfer option. To access the New GI Bill transfer option, you have to have at least six years of active duty and sign up for an additional four years. If you are within four years of retirement, the amount of additional time is prorated down.

To make a transfer request, go to the TEB Website and enter the number of months you want to transfer to your son. You will have to figure out how many months he will be able to use between now and his 26th birthday. Once the request is approved, he will have to fill out VA Form 22-1990e at the VONAPP website. He will get back a Certificate of Eligibility that he will need when he enrolls in school.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”