This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Tell the VA I Want to Change to a Different School?

done Q: I recently started to attend a Community College and am starting to receive Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits and am going to school full time. My question is can I transfer my benefits from one school to another? I want to transfer to a University either next semester or the semester after that and am not sure how it works. Do I have to obtain a degree from my community college first before transferring or can I transfer anyway as long as I am accepted and my GPA is good? Also how far in advance would I need to let my schools VA Rep and the VA know this?

A: Yes you can switch to another school. Just make sure it is GI Bill-approved first. You can either go to the VONAPP website and submit VA Form 22-1995 – Request for Change of Program or Place of Training or contact your school’s VA certifying Official and they can help you through it. It is probably best to consult your VA official as far as lead time, but I would submit it at least early in the semester prior to the one where you want to make the switch to a different GI Bill school.

You really can’t submit it too early, but you certainly can submit it too late. And while it probably would still work out, you want to make it as easy for the VA as possible to get it auctioned in the shortest amount of time.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”