This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

How Do I Switch to the New Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: How do I switch from the Montgomery GI Bill to the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

A: Switching is easy, but I want to caution you first that once you switch, you can’t switch back, so I want you to be aware of the Post 9/11 GI Bill limitations before you switch. The Post 9/11 GI Bill is generally only good for degree-producing programs. So if you plan to take a trade, technical, license or certification course, you would be better off to keep the Montgomery GI Bill.

If your non-degree course is taught at a school also teaching degree programs, then your course MAY be covered by the Post 9/11 GI Bill, but you would want to check with the VA to be sure before you switch. If you plan to take a degree program, but you want to do it all online, the MGIB may be a better GI Bill to use as the Post 9/11 GI Bill does not pay the housing allowance to those taking all online courses. Of course the way around it is to take at least one class per term that pertains to your degree plan at a local college and then you are authorized the housing allowance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.