This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Get My Montgomery GI Bill Benefits Started?

Q: I have applied for school, but stuck now on how or who to talk to about receiving money from the MGIB. Do I go to the school and ask them or go to the VA? And will it me directly deposited or will they mail me a check? Or if you can please provide a link were all these questions can be answered that would be great! Thank you very much from one Vet to another, your help is greatly appreciated.

A: No problem, I can help you. Regardless if you are using the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) or Post 9/11 GI Bill, the benefit request process is the same. To start getting paid to go to school, you have to submit VA Form 22-1990. You can do it either online, using the VONAPP Website, or you can download the form, fill it out and send it in according to the instructions on the form. In return you will get a Certificate of Eligibility which means you are approved. You will need your certificate when you enroll in school.

As you probably know, you’ll get up to $1,368 per month, for up to 36 months, to go to school. You will have to pay your own tuition, fees and education-related expenses. As far as what form of payment you can get, it is up to you. When you fill out your VA Form 22-1990, Block 7 of Part I has a place to fill out Direct Deposit information. If you leave that portion blank, the VA will send your checks to your home address listed in Block 5 of Part I on the form.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”