This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Get My GI Bill Privileges Back?

Q: Is there any way to get the GI Bill back if it was taken because you missed some drills and became an unsatisfactory participant, but made them all up and are now actively participating and in good standing with your unit?

A: I’m assuming you are either a National Guard or Reserve member and you are talking about the Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR). When you became an unsat participant, your unit suspended your use of the GI Bill, by notifying the VA of your waning drill status. So you never “lost” it in the sense that it is gone forever; you are just prohibited from using it right now until your unit tells the VA that you are back in good standing again.

The unsat process works on an annual basis. Generally, you lose your GI Bill privileges after 5 unauthorized absences within a 12 month period.

Once your trust factor between you and your unit was broken, it takes awhile to rebuild that trust, so your unit might be sitting back watching if you are back in the game or not before they tell the VA to start letting you use your GI Bill again. Stop in the Orderly Room and ask them when you will get your privileges back. That gives you the perfect opportunity to plead your case and convince them your are back in the game.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”