This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Finish Repaying for Classes I Had to Drop?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I need to finish repaying on my G.I. Bill after I had to drop classes. Whom would I contact or speak with to find my remaining balance and how to repay, so that I may attend school this coming semester. Thank you for your time.

A: First, are you sure you will have to pay anything back? If you are in an overpayment situation, you would have heard from the VA Debt Management with the amount you owe.

The VA gives GI Bill users a one-time drop of up to six credits for free regardless of the reason, so that is why I asked if you are sure if you will have to pay anything. If you dropped six credits or less, and you have never dropped a class before, then I’m thinking you don’t owe anything.

However, if you know you owe and you are trying to be proactive, then contact the VA by phone at 1-800-827-0648 between the hours of 7:30am to 6:00pm CST. Or you can email them at: If you need to mail them, their address is:

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Debt Management Center
P.O. Box 11930
St. Paul, MN 55111

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: The schools appearing on this webpage are clients of ours and are schools from which QuinStreet receives compensation ("Sponsored Schools"). Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on this website (including the order in which they appear). Our websites do not, and are not intended to, provide a comprehensive list of all schools in the United States or of all schools located in a specific geographic area or of all schools that offer a particular program of study. We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.

Gainful Employment Disclosure: For more information about program cost, educational debt, and completion rates of students who attended these programs, visit here.