This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

How Do I Find Out What Benefits I Can Transfer?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I retired (23 years) in 2006. My son is now a senior and I would like to transfer any benefits from the GI Bill over to him. Is he eligible since I am already retired? And if so, how do I find out the amount he is eligible?

A: No, I’m sorry, but he is not eligible. If you have the Montgomery GI Bill, that Bill never had a dependent transfer option and if you have the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you had to make a transfer request on or after August 1, 2009. By that time, you had been retired for three years.

You, and thousands of other veterans just like you, got caught in this trap. You fully qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer option, but because you retired before the August 1st date, you never had an opportunity to make a transfer.

There is legislation right now in Congress that would correct this error. Contact your legislators and ask them to support bill S3447.

If that bill passes, then you would be able to make a transfer request to your son. You could transfer any or all unused Post 9/11 GI Bill entitlements. The exact process to accomplish this would still have to be worked out once the bill passes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.