This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Can I Get More Money from My GI Bill?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Am I able to add my son on as a dependent and receive more money monthly from my GI Bill? How can I receive more money monthly? I am going to school online so I do not receive the housing pay, and I do not work. I’m a stay-at-home mother, so I would think I would be able to get something, if not all, the housing pay. We cannot afford daycare, and if I work, there is nothing out here that would pay me enough to cover it. Thank you.

A: The Post 9/11 GI Bill housing allowance is paid at the pay grade of an E-5 with dependents, so you wouldn’t get any more by adding him in, if you were getting housing allowance. My suggestion is to take one class per term at a local college. Just ensure the class you take counts toward your degree plan. That is all you have to do to get the housing allowance.

While it varies widely across the United States, as it is dependent on the zip code of the school, it averages $1,000 per month. On both the East and West Coasts, it is over $2,000 per month while in the Plains states, it is less than $1,000.

By taking only one class per term, you would only need a friend or family member to babysit while you are in the one class.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: The schools appearing on this webpage are clients of ours and are schools from which QuinStreet receives compensation ("Sponsored Schools"). Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on this website (including the order in which they appear). Our websites do not, and are not intended to, provide a comprehensive list of all schools in the United States or of all schools located in a specific geographic area or of all schools that offer a particular program of study. We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.

Gainful Employment Disclosure: For more information about program cost, educational debt, and completion rates of students who attended these programs, visit here.