This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Do You Know Why My Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits Request Was Denied?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I applied to transfer my GI Bill to my spouse. The request was rejected. I am told to contact my Service Representative…who is that? I am Navy AD

A: Your Service Representative are the folks in your Base Education Office.

The rules to make a Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer are you have to:

  • serve at least six years on active duty;
  • sign-up for an additional four years before you can make a successful transfer of benefits.

So my guess is either you did not have the required six years of service (of which three years has to be after September 10, 2001), or you do not have at least four years left on your current enlistment, or you are trying to transfer the Montgomery GI Bill, which does not have a transfer option. Also, make sure your wife is listed correctly in DEERS as that is the database of record the transfer process uses.

If you see your Base Education folks, they can figure out why your request was denied.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.